12.05.2015 - 12:30

The H-3 visa allows foreign nationals to enter the U.S. to receive training in a U.S. company. The training can be in areas such as commerce, agriculture, government, finance, or in an industrial establishment.

In order to be eligible to apply for an H-3 visa, the sponsoring U.S. employer must demonstrate that:

  • The training is not available in foreign national’s home country.
  • The foreign national will not be placed in a position in the normal operation of the business in which citizens and resident workers are regularly employed.
  • The foreign national will be employed specific to training only and that the foreign national will benefit in pursuing a career outside the U.S.

This visa is ideal for multinational companies who send their staff members to the United States for on-the-job training.

H-3 visa holders are allowed to stay in the United States for a time period required to complete the training program. However, the maximum allowed time for H-3 visa is 24 months. H-3 visa holders cannot change their status to H-1B visa if they remained in the U.S. for 24 months. If the trainee remains in the U.S. for 24 months, he/she must leave the United States for six months so as to obtain a new H visa.

Spouses can obtain H-4 dependent visas. Spouses are not authorized to work.